March 23, 2009

Ok, so we've had a somewhat HUGE day. Firstly, I was diagnosed with asthma. That sounds like a bummer. But I've had some ... issues ... breathing lately. Having a diagnosis and tools for dealing with it are very good news for me. Then, because I'd had kind of a rough day, Joe and the kids decided to surprise me with an early Mother's Day present. Which is amazing partly because we don't even celebrate Mother's Day. I can't abide false holidays. But I abided today just fine. They gave me a FLIP! WAHOOOO. AND THEN, as if all of that good news wasn't enough, the best news of all. Ry came downstairs after dinner and said, "You know that book, Best Stories For Girls, well, I just picked it up and realised I can read almost every word."

People, this is the real thing. This is joyous. This is moving from Dick and Jane to dense chapters. THIS IS READING. I did not cry when she told me, but it took great effort. Instead, we all jumped up and went for ice cream. We sat in rockers, under the sweetest sunset with a gentle chill in the air. And we ate ice cream while staring over the green pastures at the cows up on the hill, the cows who had donated the cream for our dessert. And now my girl is a reading girl.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A perfect day. I love that. Love,V

rae said...

Yay for Riley! Really - more Yays!

Ummm - What the flip is a flip? Please move the rock under which I reside.

candyn said...

What a lovely day! I am so happy for Riley. Welcome to reading, little one :)

I had to google a Flip. I am out of the loop too. I am guessing it is the video recorder, not the skateboard? Both look really cool though :)

Happy Mother's Day, K!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Riley!! We are happy for your wonderful (except for that asthma. That's not wonderful) weekend! Treats and reading sound like a great combo!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation, Riley!!

And I do hope you can resolve your asthma, Katherine. Perhaps you need to eat more of that ice cream. ;-)