March 2, 2009

Henry: "Everyone has a spark of punk inside. But some people forget to blow on theirs."

Today I peeled a Clementine. I ate the fruit and stitched the skin back together again. I used emerald green silk thread from the 1950s, a gift from a German friend of mine, a Jew who survived Dachau. I've never known what to do with that thread. I hold the wooden spool and marvel, how close history lives, under the radar of our everyday lives. I thought, stitching food skin is a good thing to do with this thread. How can I tell the children what this means to me? Temporary art? Henry helped pull the needle through.

Riley worked on a new needle felted doll today. The style of the artist emerging, clearly, as the doll took form out of the pile of wool, red barrette pinned firmly into her long brown hair. She wondered, "Why doesn't mohair felt the same as wool?" Tomorrow we'll look under the microscope to find the answer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really loved this post, Katherine.

carver family said...

Henry,

I think you may have inherited the gift...but from which of your parents, we'll never know. Your dad's lyrics made me weep with laughter back in my twenties; your Mom's words gently rock me through my 40s. And now you rise up to speak truths with such delicacy and finesse.

To Henry!
Hear hear!

- CC