December 11, 2007

One thousand dollars for riding lessons, paid half in cash up front and half with the strong back and willing chainsaw of an awesome Daddy, is beyond expensive. It blows my mind. One pre-reading child so inspired by direct access to her passion that she is moved to actually pick up a book and study independently, priceless.

When Henry started aikido lessons it was clear that they challenged him on many different levels at one time. This was certainly a physical challenge. But it was also a mental and emotional challenge for him. And he changed through the semester. He became more confident and one tiny bit more outgoing. He was placed, through aikido, more roundly in his body. He stopped living completely in his sweet little head.

I think this pony business is going to foster a similar shift in Riley. Good heavens, this child does not need to become more outgoing. But she has real confidence issues academically. She does not believe, some deep place inside her, she doubts she can read. But changes are percolating. She has to do things for her riding instructor. She has to ride for one thing. And that is enough. But more, she is asked to trot. To post. To DROP THE REINS AND POST WITH NO HANDS. (This one wears me out. I am exhausted from her effort at the end of the lesson.) She is asked to count out loud as she trots around posting on her pony. "One Two One Two One Two One Two." This last, may be one of the hardest things for her. She wants her learning process to be invisible and private from me. I think, since she believes she will never read as well as her brother, she carries a real shame she hides. But now, she has to say it out. Riding in a ring with an instructor requires a huge level of outness, visibility, audibility, plain effort. One Two One Two One Two. Kick kick kick, Riley, GOOD! kick kick keep kicking. Turn. Turn. Kick. Move your hands forward. Go with your horse. kick. GOOD! One Two One Two One Two.
At the end of the day, a quiet still book looks easier now, than it used to. Thank goodness the good women running the barn are willing to barter. But to see this new determination and confidence rising in our girl? I think we would have paid any price.

3 comments:

Ami said...

This post shows how well you know the hearts and spirits of your children.

I can't help thinking that we, as homeschooling moms, spend so much time with our kids that just knowing how they are is part of our life. Knowing how they feel from the set of their shoulders, viewed a mile away.

Is there anything better than that heart connection? I don't think so.

Lisa said...

I agree with ami, and want to add what a lucky little girl. I as a woman in my 40's am I beginner rider. How lessons as a child would have changed my life for the better. I often wonder if I would have had many of the struggles I had if given the opportunity to ride. I faught depression for years, riding would've have helped so much emotionally and physically. You may be giving her a gift that she'll rely on all her life. How wonderful and priceless.

Holly said...

Ami said it so beautifully. I couldn't say it better.

To find the passion in your child and fufill it, what a gift.