December 17, 2007

Hanging around the barn...
What to do? Shhhhh, walk very quietly.
Get a perch and look very carefully.....

Maybe, if you are lucky, or if you get a hint from Dad, you'll find a den.

Who lives here? We aren't sure. The puddle of urine in the leaf by the entrance suggested eau'd bobcat. Or maybe Mrs. Fox lives here? We can't be certain. But its something big, smelly, and well set for the winter. The whole arrangement put me in mind of, The Wind in the Willows, one of our family favorites:
"The Wild Wood is pretty well populated by now; with all the usual lot, good, bad, and indifferent - I name no names. It takes all sorts to make a world."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is wonderful....and I love The Wind in the Willows we did a huge unit on it when the kids were younger....we're up to George Orwell at this point.
We are spending time to figure out what is cavorting upon our porch nightly...I think we have a wild cat coming to visit at night.

Holly said...

I was surprised by how much DS liked the Wind in the Willows. He is spotty on chapter books, but that one he loved. I collect the ones he loves like treasures.