November 27, 2007

Maybe for Christmas I'll just pop in here when something lovely and simple and happy happens. I'll collect those moments here as a sort of celebration of the season. I'll just keep adding them...

For starters, today when I was leaving the grocery store an old man was coming in. He was old and delightfully round, a pretty big guy. As he was coming in he stopped. He held his arm back through the door way (fairly effectively blocking a good part of the door) and stared off into space. Just kind of hanging out there, whiling away the moments, sort of mentally whistling a little ditty. It crossed my mind that perhaps his sleeve was caught. Was he having a stroke? It took me a long moment to realise he was HOLDING THE DOOR FOR ME. Can you stand how sweet that is? I guess he forgot that all these new fangled doors open and hold themselves... It made my day.

Yesterday as we are hanging stockings: "Mom, who puts toys in the stockings, you or Santa? Because Sadie says Santa doesn't come to her house....." Me, "what do you think?" Her with a big deep old sigh, "I don't know. Maybe Santa will tell me for Christmas."

Today as I am flipping tortillas and she is crocheting on the couch: "Mom, what if I knit mittens for Santa? But then how big should they be? I guess I should use Daddy's hands for a measure. And I'll make them really big for a big fat man..."

4 comments:

Fourmother said...

Chivalry is not dead.

Sara said...

Those are lovely moments. Thanks for sharing them.

Ami said...

I think it was Santa Claus.

hsing3kinder said...

love it...
~K