May 27, 2007

meme defined: (Pronounced "meem") An idea, thought or piece of information that is passed from generation to generation through imitation and behavioral replication. Coined by Richard Dawkins in his 1976 book "The Selfish Gene," memes and memetics are the cultural counterpart to the biological study of genes and genetics. Using the evolution analogy, Dawkins observed that human cultures evolve via "contagious" communications in a manner similar to the gene pool of populations over time.

There are many reasons I blog. One of them is simply to learn more about the computer and our cyber world. When my children come up to me at, well, what ever ungodly early age they come up to me, and say they want to join something called face book, or blog, or write a meme, I will know what they are talking about. I will have an opinion based on experience rather than my knee-jerk reaction. My knee-jerk reaction, by the way, would be "hell no, go clean your room." See? I need some further study here. I am trying very hard not to become an anachronism. It may be too late.

1 comment:

GailV said...

So I take it you think that a knee-jerk "hell, no, go clean your room" is an incorrect response? Damn, that's the exact response I use for pretty much everything. Hmmmm....