May 31, 2007

Excerpted from "Grasshopper On The Road" by Arnold Lobel

The Voyage

Grasshopper came to a puddle of water in the road. He was just about to jump over the puddle. "Wait!" Cried a tiny voice. Grasshopper looked down. At the edge of the puddle was a mosquito. He was sitting in a little boat. "It is a rule," said mosquito. "You must use this ferry boat to get across the lake." "But sir," said Grasshopper, "I can easily jump over to the other side." "Rules are rules," said the mosquito. "Climb into my boat." "Your boat is too small for me," said Grasshopper. "Rules are rules," said mosquito. "You must get into my boat!" "I can't fit into your boat," said Grasshopper. "Rules are still rules!" shouted the mosquito. "Well then," said Grasshopper, "there is only one thing for me to do." Grasshopper picked up the boat.

"All aboard," called mosquito. Grasshopper held the boat very carefully. He stepped into the puddle. "You are lucky to be with me on this voyage," said the mosquito. "I have been sailing back and forth across this lake for many years," said the mosquito. "I am not afraid of storms or waves." Grasshopper took another step. "I know more about sailing than anyone else around here," said the mosquito. Grasshopper took one more step. He was on the other side of the puddle. He put the boat down into the water. "That was a good trip," said the mosquito. "Now I must hurry back to the other shore to wait for new riders."

"Thank you," said Grasshopper. "Thank you very much for taking me safely across the lake." "I was glad to do it," said the mosquito. Grasshopper waved good-bye and kept on walking down the road.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Just wanted to pipe in again and say that I thoroughly enjoy this blog. I visit regularly, now.
Makes me laugh, or inspires me.
Gotta love that.
Stephanie

K said...

Hey, thank you very very much! : )

Holly said...

That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing.