November 2, 2010

We made two gallons of our own laundry detergent today.   I estimate it cost us a dollar to make.   I'll let you know how it works.

1 grated bar of soap (we used Ivory)
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup borax

melt soap flakes in six cups of simmering water
pour that into a plastic bucket with 4 cups of hot water
stir in soda and borax until dissolved
add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir well
let sit for 24 hours to cure.  stir occasionally while curring.  
use a scant half cup per load

1 comment:

val said...

Ahhh! They used to make powdered laundry soap called Ivory Snow. I used it for diapers. Then they discontinued it--so I grated Ivory Soap bars to wash diapers.

This sounds like a wonderful, mild laundry product. I'm looking forward to hearing the results. love, Val