June 1, 2010

"Mom, stand right here. Watch.  Shhhhhhh.  Wait.  Shhhhhhh.  Here she comes!"

The little nest under the eaves explodes into mouths.  First there was nothing there.  Then a Mama and a tidal wave of open mouths.  When she recedes the nest becomes quiet and still as a shore.

My own daughter's face turns up to mine twinkling a quiet smile, framed by a round bale.  Silently again, I give thanks to the Gods for this opportunity and time we have, the children have, to look around together.

What I see is my son getting taller and more confident.  We contemplate high school coming up fast.  The kids may submit ideas for approval and funding.  I think the children should go off to an actual high school.  Or go immerse in another language.  Or build a tiny house complete with pipes and wires.  Or another thing else.  Henry says, perhaps building guitars.  That could work.

No comments: