September 11, 2008

I am sitting in the lobby of the hotel where we stayed when we got married. My children are mad with happiness. They HAVE THEIR OWN ROOM. They are running up and down the stairs. They take the key with them. They are big now. Bigger than I realised. The first picture I took was of the lock on the bathroom door connecting our rooms. This marks a huge new phase for our family. We prefer two rooms. We are two roomers. We, who are big and need more privacy and room. We, the family with door between us. Two rooms, we have them. There is one and there is also another one. Two.

I remember slipping down the hall in the middle of the night and crawling in bed with the man I was going to marry the very next day. We were scared. We needed to be together. It was the right thing to do. That was a long long time ago. Back when we did not need two rooms. We only needed the one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I love your writing.

MOM #1 said...

We like two rooms as well. I can remember when we only needed one. They grow up so fast.

Sarah said...

I, like lizabeth, love your writing. It really speaks to me.

This post made me smile. Some of it was anticipation for when that will be the reality for my family, some of it was because I was reminded to be joyful about that not being the reality for me right now.

Karin said...

I remember that gorgeous hotel ... what a lovely place, and what a great story. Sometimes it's awesome how places connect us to moments in time.