June 11, 2008

Um Humm

"For her first garden, Ms. Feeley has gone whole hog, hand-tilling a quarter acre in the backyard of her house near the Fort Campbell Army base in Kentucky. She has put in 15 tomato plants, five rows of corn, potatoes, cucumbers, squash, okra, peas, watermelon, green beans. An old barn on the property has been converted to a chicken coop, its residents arriving next month; the goats will be arriving next year."

Sound familiar? Gardening has grabbed the country. Time to grow your own, people. Who the hell can afford to go to the grocery store these days? A couple of months ago when wheat spiked, I rounded the corner to grab a bag and my eye fell on the price. I shouted out "Holy Crap!" before I got hold of myself.

Kit would understand. Her family began renting rooms, planted a garden, and got some chickens when the depression hit. And I'm starting to think maybe we could make do with one car again. The three years we lived in Texas we only had one car. It was never a problem and we saved GOBS of money. That's looking better and better all the time. Oh no, see what's happening? We are becoming freaky isolated homesteading homeschoolers. Not too isolated, I promise. Our local homeschool group is starting up community carpooling. Very Cool.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Oh, yeah. I so hear you. I keep thinking how "times are tough" in our century vs. "times are tough" in the last century. I read this article how people are "cutting back" on grocery's but still getting pedicures. HUH? PEOPLE!!! I want to scream. I am trying to figure out how I can go out only two days a week instead of four...anything could help..go to the greater good. Is it so bad our kids aren't carted around doing EVERY little thing?? WWOAD? What Would Our Ancestors Do??

WE need to truly rethink what tightening the belt means. Cuz I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better....

...but i hope this means you'll still come visit. Carpooling of course.