February 11, 2008

Sleepy Valentine

My husband I were dog tired last night as we flipped off the Grammys and headed to bed. We saw all the opening highlights. Alicia Keys, was she FABULOUS or what? And of course, I had to be there to see Prince. Kanye to his Mother, the Love tribute to the Beatles, I think we were both moved. And then we went up to bed. It was 9:00. We were DONE for the day.

My daughter showed up unexpectedly, at that moment. She couldn't sleep and wanted to cuddle. So that's what we did. We all climbed into bed, delighted for a few minutes at our spontaneous little party, and then quickly the grownups started drifting off. Ry was curled toward me and we were holding hands. Her little one folded into my bigger one. Drifting. Then she squeezed my hand, Lub. And I returned it, Dub. She found one last way to divert herself from sleep. Squeeze lub return dub. Lub dub lub dub lub dub lub dub. The love in that sleepy twilight dreamy state of mind felt alive, shaped like a real heart - unsymmetrical and sweet. Ba bum ba bum ba bum ba bum gently and silently cuddled to sleep.

No comments: