August 22, 2007

Would it be wrong to just lift half of RegularMom's post and put it here? Look at this, my people. This gets right to the heart and spirit of one of the most fun things about homeschool:

"...it turns out that our homeschool club has this long-standing tradition of meeting at a nearby Dunkin’ Donuts on the first day of public school around here. We’ll get dozens of donuts and coffee for the moms and milk for the kiddos. The kids and their friends, with big giant jelly smeared smiles on their faces, will watch those crowded school buses roll on by, knowing that the parks, malls and restaurants won’t be so crowded anymore, and that once again we’ll have full run of the town and all it has to offer..." ~ RegularMom

The FREEDOM of homeschool is so joyous. And for myself, homeschool is such a huge flying finger to the social, political, racial, money making machine. They DO NOT GET MY KIDS. They may have gotten me, but not my kids. Not this year. Hopefully not ever.

And with a nod here to Fourmother's "Community of Learners," may I just say how deeply and profoundly glad I am that my children are not, for the moment, aware of racism. They don't know it exists. That is one more thing they will NOT be learning this year in school. My kids actually think all the black kids they meet here in our deeply southern community are just black kids. Imagine that. They won't be around in any one's class to observe the created and culturally reinforced differences taught and ingrained there.

Yes RegularMom, strike the Hallelujah Chorus!

3 comments:

C said...

HALLELUJAH!

I'm LOVING the donut shop idea. I'll plan that one for our little group next year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for quoting me. And thanks for showing me how to spell hallelujah correctly. I can never get that one right, and wordpress just refuses to spell check it. urgh. :)

Fourmother said...

Yeah! "The huge flying finger" of freedom. I love it! Homeschooling is like sticking it to "the man."